TIPS TO CREATE CHARACTER DIGITALLY
TIP NO.1 : SKETCH THE BASE CHARACTER
- Base sketch is a must to know the “VOLUME,APPEAL & STRUCTURE” of the character.
- Add details too in the rough sketch for example stitches on the pants of the boy character .
- Create an appealing character pose with proper line of action which defines the character situation.
- The pose must be a dynamic pose.
- Create the pose in action and reaction poses.
- Negative spacing a must in the character sketch.
TIP NO 2: COLORING
- Coloring in “Calibrated Monitors” will help to create true colors, for normal monitors paint in lite colors .
- Create the base color of the character in separate layer.
- The base color should not move away from the character origin.
- The colors should match the character situation,place and environment.
- Direction of light must be fixed.
- New layer for body shadows should be created, the color for shadows need not be the same as the base color.
- Limit the shadows for more appeal.
- Highlight the character according to the direction of the light.
TIP NO 3: TECHNICAL TIPS
- Stick to few brushes.
- Use soft brushes to blend/merge the colors.
- Use color dynamics for fur effects/ example the cat character as shown above.
- Make sure pen pressure is selected.
- Go to Brush presets and “select” the required brush tip shapes, ex: shape dynamics, scattering.
- Use angle for rotation of the brush angle.
NOTE: Few digital sketches created by the students of “JAIN ANIMATION SCHOOL” has been displayed in this blog, please also note that few characters created has been inspired concepts from other artists.